Friday, July 8, 2011

Chilled Indian Sprout Salad

When I spied these sprouts in the store I didn't see them as a simple container of sprouts.  Instead, they looked to me like Hare Bhare Mung, a salad that I've had and enjoyed at Utsav.


By the time I got back to my office I realized that it was up to me to bridge the gap between the container I now possessed and the end result I anticipated; the sprouts were not going to dress themselves.  According to the Utsav menu, Hare Bhare Mung is salad consisting of a spicy blend of fresh sprouts, tamarind, mint, chopped onion, cilantro, and chaat masala.  Omitting the cilantro was the easy part, creating my own chaat masala was the first challenge.  I chose this recipe and tailored it to what I actually had in my pantry, which was everything except amchoor powder and ajwain.

I had no idea where to begin in making the dressing, so that was the second challenge.  I played around until I came up with something that tasted good on my fingertip and hoped for the best.  Success:


Indian Sprout Salad
serves two

6 oz crunchy sprouts (mine were lentil, pea, and adzuki beans)
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp evoo
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp tamarind chutney
1 tsp chaat masala

In a small bowl, combine your liquid ingredients.  Add the chaat masala, then toss to combine with sprouts, onions, and tomato.  Let marinate in the fridge overnight and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is available at Bhojan, too. I usually soak my own sprouts and buy the boxes from Whole Foods. As a matter of fact, I've got a mason jar of sprouts in my kitchen right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the perfect salad for a hot day; I wonder if I can find some sprouts. And I like the artistic little mound you've coaxed it into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I have an ice cream scoop to thank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this today with sprouts I grew myself. Mung beans, protein power mix and a mixture of sprout greens such as alfalfa, broccoli and red clover. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)