Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Senõr Veggie: Vegan in San Antonio, TX

So, our second stop in San Antonio was the reason for our whole trip. BUT, I'm not ready to share it just yet. In fact, I'm getting verklempt just thinking about it, so I'll skip ahead to our next meal(s): Senõr Veggie.

We were lucky enough to attend an afternoon event catered by Senõr Veggie, so we got to try a host of their extraordinarily fresh and flavorful menu items. Who even remembers what was on the buffet? I do; it's what I do: baba ganoush, hummus, grilled lavash, antipasto, falafel, stuffed grape leaves, and quinoa salad.


But enough about all that savory yum; the baklava was really my main course. It was OUTSTANDING.


We all enjoyed everything so much so that we agreed it was prudent to visit Senõr Veggie in person for dinner that same night.

 

It was a much larger space than I'd anticipated; the atmosphere was friendly, informal, and laid back.

 
 
agua fresca:


Appetizers first:
Lettuce wraps with crispy tofu, veggies, sprouts. The best! Truly succulent tofu paired well with crisp veggies.


Poblano corn fritters with chipotle mayo. In addition to breakfast tacos, fritters were in abundance in Texas.


Sweet potato wedgies with curry ketchup. You can never go wrong with fries.



I couldn't make a dinner decision, so I shared with a pal.
Portabella Fajitas with peppers, onions, brown rice, black beans, tortillas. Smoky!!


Buffalo tofu Po Boy with house mayo, lettuce, pickles, and shoestring fries.


This feast was followed by an extraordinary sadness when we found out they were out of baklava. You'd have thought we'd eaten enough of it earlier in the day, but you can't really define "enough" when it comes to Senõr Veggie baklava.

Later that night we did a little site-seeing on foot.
How can I write about San Antonio without the requisite photo of The Alamo? I can't.


As if the anti-Obama ramblings of the guards weren't cringe-worthy enough, here's Hello Kitty: Texas style that I found in one of the tourist shops down the block.


And this? This is armadillo milk.


Because why shouldn't we find more animals to milk?


Oh, right. Not your mom, not your milk!


This frog with a plant afro more than made up for any unpleasantness. More vegan Texas coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. I thought when I saw armadillo milk, it was going to be some crazy vegan brand of cashew milk or something. That's beyond grim. I had to go and look at that po' boy for five minutes to calm myself back down again. Should I die prematurely, I want to be buried with some corn fritters.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)