Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Vegan Mother's Day Lemon Poundcake (based on Starbucks' lemon loaf)

I don't know how long ago it started, but I've been in charge of Mother's Day breakfasts for years now. I always like to make something I wouldn't otherwise or ordinarily try, so there's been speculoos crepes, samoa french toast, hot cross buns, etc. This year, I decided to keep it simple when a recipe purporting to mimic Starbuck's lemon loaf, VM's fave, surreptitiously showed up in my feed a few weeks prior to the holiday.

 

You might recall that my favorite lemon poundcake has so far eluded me, but I had high hopes for this one. I easily veganized the recipe by subbing old-fashioned egg-replacer for the eggs, but I was off to a bad start when the cake sunk while cooking.


I thought I could hide the chasm with the icing, but instead the pooling just called more attention to the failure.

 

I then decided to draw attention away from the cake by picking up VM's fave Starbucks drink (soy Oprah chai) on what was probably the last day of the season it was possible to leave 89 in the car for two minutes without expecting someone to (rightfully) throw a brick through my window. We passed VM and OD en route!


I'll admit it made a fine presentation.


VM said it tasted authentic, but I wasn't all that impressed.


I decided to rest on the laurels of 89's appropriate attire.


And her phenomenal gift-giving skills.


Hope yours was great too.

7 comments:

  1. I do miss those Starbucks Lemon Pound Cake Slices. Wonder why it caved in? Love 89's coquettish look over her shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they really as good as everyone says?? I've never had it. 89 vacillates between ferocious and demure; this was a calm day!

      Delete
    2. They are really as good as everyone says.

      Delete
  2. You need a thick chocolate icing to hide a sink hole, and I speak from experience. It doesn't seem the flavor was affected, and VM liked it, so all was well. I think I remember that too much liquid can cause a cake to sink — or at least it's one of the things that can cause it. I think that 89 is judging the cake. Just because she's so cute doesn't give her the right to pass judgement on others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look at the cake and see sinkhole. I look at the cake and think, mmmm cake. I'd not be shy in eating a slice of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that cake looks pretty good to me right now! Nick made me an amazing lemon cake for my birthday a couple of years ago, I would be surprised if he remembered how he made it though!

      Delete
  4. Looks tasty! Happy Mothers Day VM!!! Beso, Beso!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)