Saturday, November 28, 2015

On Friendship, Social Media, and Thanksgiving

For some reason, people like to talk about what they're thankful for at Thanksgiving; I just like to eat. But since it's kind of timely for me to be grateful for friendships*, please indulge me as I express my gratitude for friends inter-mixed amongst some major indulgences of Thanksgiving fare.


The older I get the more I come to terms with the fact that friendships ebb and flow. In closeness: if we want it to, technology can allow us to be closer than ever- even while far away, and in quantity: in the long run you generally lose more friends than you make over the course of a lifetime.

I'm so thankful for my friends- some I've known seemingly all along, many I've met through other friends, and a bunch I've had the pleasure of befriending as fellow members of the vegan community: either at events or online.

this nerd

Social Media adds an interesting twist. I use it to try to stay in touch with old friends, keep up with current friends, and to get to know those that are new; to have conversations with like-minded people and to be exposed to those who lead lives that are different from mine: to learn and grow from the experiences of friends and acquaintances that choose to share them.
Best PPK green bean casserole to date: made with (half portion) potato leek soup

maple roasted brussel sprouts from Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen (chestnuts subbed for hazelnuts)

VM's buttery mashed potato mound

As a single person, I am especially thankful for friends- for those who leave things in my mailbox: virtual and real; those who I don't see very often but who send a text now and again to share something funny; particularly those who ask simply, "how are you?," and mean it.

89 modeling Compassion Co. in an ongoing effort to coerce them into making canine couture

So, here's to the true friends, for whom I am grateful.

All Vegan Treats all the time.

* For balance, I'll enumerate a few things for which I am not grateful:
fresh cilantro
jerky drivers
people who try to dictate who I sit with at the lunch table
Alex Trebek

9 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Your list at the end had me nodding, except Alex Trebek - there has to be a story there!

    I really enjoyed this post. I'm really good at keeping in touch with people, and I know the ones who actually reach out to me and do the same are keepers. A lot of people are very self involved, and I am grateful for those who can see outside of themselves and show interest and kindness!

    Happy Holiday season to you and 89' from Remy and myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, Alex Trebek is such a condescending jerkwad!
    I agree with everything you've said too. Happy holidays to both of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO GLAD we're friends, beany weany. Also, please text me about that mulit colored 89 throne. I need something just like that. Please and thank you.

    xoxo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an Alex Trebek fan as well (fun fact: I once tried out for Jeopardy and he was there, but of course I didnt make it on the show). He's pretty hot for a guy in his 70's. But I digress.

    As my mother always said, "Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver, one is gold" Bet old Alex doesnt seem so annoying now, eh?

    Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First you insult 89 and now this? I don't understand where we went wrong. So cool that you tried out! I do love the show...except for HIM.

      Delete
    2. I didnt insult that gorgeous little girl! Even the most glamorous stars sometimes have a fashion fail and 89's just happened to be during the Halloween parade.

      Delete
  5. Et tu with the cilantro!? Did I know this already?! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read on your blog that you like it and I too was mortified! I'm sorry, it's just so gross to me. Not necessarily soapy, just awful. I was eating a banh mi at a meeting last week and I thought I'd delicately removed all of it. In my last bite there was a sneaky stem and as it crushed sourly between my teeth I grimaced, but made the big girl decision to continue chewing and swallow bravely than to spit it out in my napkin. It was harrowing, let me tell you.

      Delete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)