Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Passover fun & frolic with 89

I have to warn you, the holidays are coming up fast and furious these days. First Easter, now Passover, and Mother's Day is right around the corner. I promise there are more reviews to come after all these recaps. In fact...spoiler alert: some are from DC! But, for now- the vegan Passover recap:

The cup of Elijah, which 89 mistook as hers.


The charoseth, which she hoped would be hers.

 

And VM's famous matzoh ball soup with the world's fluffiest balls this time around. 89 actually had some of this; she loves carrots and matzoh balls (note: (she will share her soup, but not her recipe).

 

The main course was: roasted string beans/ asparagus/ Brussels sprouts surrounding fingerling potatoes and onions with beet horseradish. I couldn't get my act together to contribute chickpea cutlets. Perhaps at Thanksgiving?


Passover is tricky in the dessert department. When it falls right alongside Easter, there are plenty of desserts to go around. But when it stands alone, there are- regretfully, no associated baskets of candy. Thankfully, when I learned at a recent Vegan Shop-up that Sweet Maresa's wouldn't have rainbow cookies again until Christmas, I did not miss the opportunity. I bought a coveted box and it remained well-wrapped in my freezer for a few weeks explicitly for this occasion. Insert heart-eyed emoji here.


And, finally, the afikomen. Here's 89 alerting everyone that she found it. For the full (7 second) video, click here.


Since she didn't need a fiver, 89 got a new Puff the Magic Dragon toy for her trouble. The most recently desecrated one lies discarded below; 89 does not suffer from IKEA sentimentality like some of us.


Happy Passover!

6 comments:

  1. Growing up, we had a family friend who celebrated Passover, and I attended with my parents. I LOVED charoset!! I haven't had it in years, and I'm a cinnamon fan, so I really should make some. I'm jealous of the matzoh ball soup, it looks delicious! 89's hat is so adorable, I will forgive her for not sharing the recipe. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate apples, but for some reason I like this. Everyone always enjoys it, but it never occurs to anyone to make it any other time of year. She actually left the hat on all night!

      Delete
  2. Holy crap this is adorable. My pooch had a stuffed pheasant when she was a pup; she DID suffer from sentimentality. I had to perform surgery so many times before he was retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always keep a spare Puffy; this time I bought 4. The cashier said, "Favorite, huh?"

      Delete
  3. 89 always seems calmer at Passover than at Easter. She understands the gravity of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see her with the tallit on; she's even more somber.

      Delete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)