Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vegan MoFo 2012, Gardenburger's Vegan Burger

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was addicted to Gardenburgers as a vegetarian.  Well, guess what?  They now have vegan varieties!


There are a ton of veggie burgers on the market, and it's taken me years to settle on my favorites: Sunshine burgers (southwest flavor), and Don Lee farms.  Yet for some reason (I was hungry), when I spied these vegan Gardenburgers in the supermarket freezer, I decided I had to try them.  I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was hungry when I went vegan I missed those veggie-laden, vegetarian Gardenburgers I'd previously enjoyed.


It was nice that they were packaged in such a way that acknowledges that not everyone cooks for a family of four.


The frozen burger looked extremely appealing, and cooked up fine with a nice texture.


Unfortunately, it didn't have much taste to speak of.  Let me put it to you this way: it wasn't as bad as the Quorn burgers, but it wasn't good.


Garden burger still makes three non-vegan (vegetarian) veggie burgers- including the original, but in addition to the vegan veggie medley flavor I tried, they also makes a vegan black bean chipotle veggie burger.  That sounds good, but it remains to be seen if I'm going to shell out another $5 to see if it really is.

9 comments:

  1. Abby,

    Thanks for this post. I’m a weekend lover of veggie burgers. Like yourself, I’m very picky with the frozen burgers I decide to purchase. As I’ve tried most on the market, (not including the box of frozen Quorn vegan burger I still have in my freezer from months ago…) my top favorites are, Amy's low sodium California Burger and Dr. Praeger's California veggie burger. Also, as a tip, cook your Dr. Praeger's burger well done as it tends to fall apart easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MVG- Congratulations! You've just won a 2-pack of Gardenburgers. Please expect hand-delivery within 3 weeks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,

    Thank you, but it's not the Gardenburgers I'm after....

    *see blog dated, October 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had any gardenburgers in a long time. When I was first dabbling in vegetarianism I used to get them off and on.

    The chipotle black bean ones I recall being really good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a frozen burger in a long time. They are nice for convenience sake but I'm never sure if I'll like them or not. Thanks for reinforcing my distrust, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of quit burgers after doing the gluten free thing. My hubby adores certain kinds......I love the smell of them frying! I remember I liked the Amy's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby,

    PS, I always bake my veggie burgers. Who needs all that oil?

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)