Friday, July 25, 2014

Handmade Vegan Ice Cream Pops! Some Dreams Do Come True...

It shouldn't be news that the vegan ice cream shop on E Sixth Street between Avenues A & B- what I refer to as The Best Ice Cream Shop in the Universe (#TBICSITU), is someplace I visit on the regularAnd now I have a new reason to do so.


But, before I get to the glorious confection above, here's a quick recap in case you're new here.  What better place to start than with one of my favorites: a sundae.  This one was toasted coconut and peanut butter fudge ice creams with hot fudge, graham crackers, whipped cream, sprinkles, and a cherry.  It's kind of my thing.  And, of course: all vegan, all the time. 

 

At TBICSITU you can have cups, cones, sundaes, brownie sundaes, shakes, flurries, floats- the possibilities are seemingly endless.   And then, one day, this popped up.  A novelty freezer!  A freezer just for novelties!  A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF ICE CREAM POSSIBILITIES WERE PENDING!  It was empty on this day, but I knew it wouldn't be for long.


I stalked it and stalked it and stalked it and then one day it was finally on, full, and glowing like a vegan beacon: drawing me towards it.


You'll notice that it is mostly filled with hand-packed pints, which is great news since- in the case of an ice cream emergency (been there), you can just run in and grab one or twenty without waiting for them to be packed while you wait.


But, if you look closer, you'll see the glorious pops referenced above: all adorably packaged and waiting for their forever home (in your belly).


YOU GUYS, I had just eaten a pretty enormous lunch including dessert, but I still couldn't resist. 


Peanut butter ice cream pop in a dark chocolate shell adorned with peanuts.
front:


back:


Interior:


As much as I'd been anticipating the TBICSITU novelties, this pop exceeded all of my expectations by eons and miles and knots.  I thought about it the rest of the day and then returned that evening for more so my friends could have some too.  Because I may or may not have eaten all of the peanut butter pops, one friend chose mint ice cream in a chocolate shell, while the other chose pistachioWith nuts.  Are you picking up what I'm putting down?  NO CHOCOLATE.  I mean, it looked great with all of those pistachios packed on and she really enjoyed it, but a chocolate-less pop is kind of... worthless, no?  I suppose there are people who eschew chocolate, but who are they?  And why?  More importantly, where can I thank them for leaving more for me?
 
foreground: mint, background: pistachio (being overshadowed in so many ways)

You may have noticed a freezer bag in the last picture.  This may or may not be because I was sent home with a stash to share with the Esteemed Tasting Panel (for real: I was under explicit orders not to eat them all myself).

Just look at all of that extraordinary chocolate (ahem).


safety first:


The chocolate-encased vanilla and chocolate pops were terrific (I only had a bite!), but the peanut butter is still the bomb.


Just look at those salty peanuts nestled into the rich chocolate; who can resist?


Yep, no one.

just a taste of the ice cream, no chocolate for dogs!

For the record, the ETP has made some specific requests for future variations.  To start, VM has asked for signature flavors to be poppified, such as chicken leg (drumstick) and chocolate chocolate chip.  I was also advised that there will be extra credit for adorning the chocolate with assorted shop toppings (sundae on a stick anyone? the apple doesn't fall far).  As for me, I think they're just perfect, but would be willing to taste test any and all possibilities.

AND, as if all of this isn't enough, now there are rumors of a Gone Pie collaboration!  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?  Hint: it would involve some kind of ice cream...nestled between two cookies...sort of like: a sandwich.

Moreover, I've suggested my own novelty that will hopefully be developed soon and may or may not (it won't) be named the Abby Beaner! Feel free to start a petition on my behalf.

Stay tuned; I'M ON THIS.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def need to get one. Every time I have been I've always gotten the brownie sunday with a scoop of PB and cake batter soft serve. I haven't been able to tear myself away from that and try anything else! Something about warm brownies and cold ice cream, then PB?! I don't know what it is but it makes vegans crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll order the Abby Beaner next time I'm nearby.
    Love the amount of peanuts on that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby thanks for the review! I miss TBICSITU so much. Such a fun place to work, and the novelty freezer with pre-packed pints is brilliant. There was nothing worst than when the line was a mile long, you're hot nd your wrist is starting to hurt from all of the happyiness you've been scooping out all night onto cones and then bam! some guy orders 4 pints!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, seriously yummy! I would love to reach through the screen and join you in this deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Astonishing! I feel sad I will never get there, but I do feel happy for those who get to partake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have one (maybe two) in your honor next time (likely tomorrow).

      Delete
  7. Erm, you just win today. Possibly all week. Hooray for pops. Is it wrong to admit I may also have gone for pistachio? Luckily someone made my mistake for me and I can see the error of my ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping the pistachio is dunked in chocolate next time!

      Delete
  8. I know I told you about Cookman Creamery in Asbury Park before but I was pleasantly surprised when we visited a few weeks ago and she not only had vegan chocolate and strawberry ice cream pops but vegan flying saucers (like from Carvel ice cream), vegan ice cream pies and vegan ice cream cakes in her freezer. Plus, the flavors have gotten crazy. I tried cinnamon churro and jalapeno. I miss Blythe's amazing ice cream but Cookman Creamery is phenomenal as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried CC recently and will be blogging about it soon!

      Delete
  9. Don't buy them all before i get there!!! I get the soft serve often and always need their whipped cream.... But now i'll go with a freezer bag to bring home a treat too! Why couldn't they do pistachio chocolate? That would be amazing....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowza! Handmade vegan ice cream pops & peanut butter ones….gimmmeee and that sundae bowl looks dreamin’ delish! Thanks for sharing this list of lovely frozen desserts…I want to go there now!! I had a vegan pistachio rice-milk based gelato in an ice cream cone few days ago and it tasted a lot like pistachio, nutty and greenish and also gluten-free. Have a great weekend, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Em Gee, those are the ice creams of my dreams! I want the mint and the PB right now and if they'd dip the pistachio in chocolate and then add the nuts I'd be all over it.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)