Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Valentine Candy from Surf Sweets and TruJoy Sweets (not chocolate!)

Valentine's Day is generally all about the chocolate, but did you know that some people don't like chocolate? IT'S TRUE! Thank goodness Surf Sweets and TruJoy Sweets have this situation under control, including TONS of options for vegans. Yep, you read that right: gummies* for vegans!


Two years ago I was eating Surf Sweets' Valentine's fruity hearts all day every day, but thanks to a generous sample delivery, this week I'm positively swimming in a ton of sweet (and sour) gummy options.

Behold: fruity bears, watermelon rings, peach rings, sour worms, and those yummy fruity hearts. All are VEGAN (!), non-GMO, gluten-free, all or mostly organic, and made in the USA. I still love the hearts, but the fruity bears stole mine because they taste like Chuckles candy. Chuckles are stored in my memory bank as being delicious, but are- in reality, filled with all the yucky stuff that Surf Sweets eschews. The watermelon and peach rings were evenly divided as faves amongst the esteemed tasting panel, and the sour worms were devoured once they found the right home (we're not sour people).


But, wait; there's more! In addition to these goodies from Surf Sweets, I also received a sampling of individually wrapped candy items from TruJoy Sweets (I love individually wrapped candies because I like to fill my pockets with them).


I hesitate to say that the choco chews taste like a dark chocolate version of tootsie rolls, but at least it gives you a point of reference. You can actually see a product comparison on the TruJoy Sweet site if you're interested in seeing in writing what you can already imagine. The fruit chews are absolutely reminiscent of Starburst, another comparison made on the site. And, finally, candy canes- they're not just for Christmas anymore! These pink and mildly peppermint canes certainly blended in with the Valentine aesthetic, but I've been hoarding them because I don't like strong mint flavor and these are just my speed. All are made with organic ingredients, free of corn syrup, no artificial flavors and colors, gluten-free, vegan, and kosher (phew!); you can't go wrong.


Because even I have my limits, I became the traveling candy show- astounding friends, family, and passerby with the vegan goodness I was packing in my OCD individual containers. Note: people think you're a sweetie when you share your sweets; I try to do it as often as possible and you should too!


So, if chocolate isn't necessarily your thing this time of year or any, Surf Sweets & TruJoy Sweets have you covered.


*gummy candy is usually comprised of all kinds of gross stuff that vegans wouldn't touch with 99 1/2 foot pole. Per usual, please read all labels carefully, as not ALL of Surf Sweets are suitable for vegans; those that are clearly state "vegan" on the back of the packaging.

5 comments:

  1. Chocolate is definitely my jam but so are gummy sweets! I've never tried Surf Sweets because I've never seen a vegan pack out in the wild but I'll keep an eye out for those bears fo' sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be one of those people who didn't like chocolate, but I'm recovered now. What I still don't like are sweets that have a sugar coating — either powdered or gritty. I think it's a texture thing. When I got samples of Surf Sweets, I liked the taste and texture of the inside, but the coating got in the way. I did use a bunch of them to decorate a cake, and that was really fun. I would buy them again for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely a chocolate lover, so I would probably handle one or two of those lovely sweets and be able to walk away! A bowl of heated dark chocolate with a splash of amaretto and sliced bananas... I'd eat myself sick. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the Choco Chews. I may order a box on Amazon one of these days. 89 looking breathtaking in her Valentine garb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are sweets that are not chocolate? Whhaaaa...? Consider my eyes opened and mind blown. I think I've just been not eating gummy sweets for so long for all the grossness reasons you mention, I've lost the taste for them, but they do look a pretty bunch of sweets.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)