Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vegans: Saluggi's Represents

Imagine you've been eating your way through trekking around the city all day and you've finally made it to your dinner destination, a place that you've heard rave reviews about.  You walk in and the scent of perfectly prepared, New York pizza infiltrates your olfactories.  After a deep inhalation you scan the restaurant: brick walls, red-checkered tablecloths; it's an authentic, vintage pizzeria...only nicer.  And then, imagine if you will, that you see this*.


And then this:


So you peruse the pizza section of the menu and it's pretty much standard, only totally veganizable.  Our small but mighty group ordered two large pies.

Half plain, half artichoke heart:


Half pineapple, half Brussel sprouts.  Yes, BRUSSEL SPROUTS!  And these are no ordinary sprouts, people; these suckers were pre-roasted (or sauteed; who cares which)!  Saluggi's is not messing around.


Serious, bonafide, New York YUM.  Marinara, a fair amount of Daiya (this coming from the over-cheese queen), and the crust just the way I like it: crispy yet flexible; I can't remember the last time I folded a slice and ate it with my hands.  Saluggi's is a must return.

* Ok, so I knew in advance that Saluggi's serves Daiya-fied pizza, but the signs were still exciting.  "Vegans!!!"?  That's me!  Feed me pizza!  Erm, please!

3 comments:

  1. I HAVE TO FIND THIS PLACE! Brussels sprouts pizza?? I was hankering for some today but didn't want to go to Viva Herbal. Plus I have yet to try Daiya! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, awesome! do they serve vegan pizza by the slice too, or do you have to order a whole pie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. FF: I actually like Viva; they're available by the slice & are pretty generous with their Daiya, but I'm not always thrilled with their crust. Haven't tried Daiya yet? Get on it!!

    Ali: I do think you must order by the pie, but there are personal size pizzas available. It is kind of a restaurant/pizzeria hybrid & there is waitress service, so it's nice to eat in. I should have gotten a shot of the dining room to make it clearer. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)