Friday, June 26, 2015

The Amazing Green Vegetarian- Vegan in San Antonio, TX

While we were in San Antonio we ate at Green Vegetarian more times than I can count. Green has three locations and they are all 100% vegetarian and kosher.


There are many noted vegan items on the menu, as well as a clear indication of what vegetarian items can be made vegan- most breakfast items and ALL meals on their non-breakfast menu. Their desserts are all vegan by default. Not too shabby!

 

I had been forewarned that it was an amazing place, but I'm not sure that I was prepared for the very first thing that I saw upon entering. I am a dessert professional, but this all vegan line-up really caught me off-guard.


As if all that wasn't enough, when I looked up there were TWINKIES! How was I supposed to concentrate on a menu of savory food when there were twinkies mere feet away- in danger of selling out?


Not to mention Hostess as far as the eye could see...


Our first meal here was breakfast, during which tables receive complimentary biscuits. It took me a minute to figure out that they contained fennel seeds; is that a southern thing? Totally unexpected!


Since breakfast tacos were my new thing, I ordered the recommended Migas (gf): tomatoes, onions, bell peppers & corn tortilla chips scrambled with tofu and served with refried beans, breakfast tots, and corn tortillas. It was a fine and hardy start to what was going to be a marathon of eating at Green in the coming days. Also, TOTS!


On the way out I noticed something I hadn't seen previously: snowball cupcakes! I was taken back to my youth where racks of colorful snowballs spun jovially in the supermarket.


They even had lemon meringue! I'm not particularly in to lemon meringue, but look at those elusive vegan peaks! But, I digress.

 

I managed to resist these impressive offerings in order to hold true to my original choices; a twinkie and a "Hostess Who?" came with me as takeout for lunch. This is a true story; everyone else got protein salads (gf): kale, fresh spinach, chickpeas, quinoa tabouli, flaxseed, pecan hummus, carrots, tomato, avocado, and roasted tofu.


Suckers!



When we returned for dinner (yes, really) the first thing we chose to share were fried pickles: panko breaded, deep fried, kosher dill pickle spears.


Despite this non-committal expression, they were the hit of the table.


As I embarked upon my third meal of the day from Green, I had a chance to appreciate the aesthetic of the space. Lots of fun and inventive repurposing; it took us a few minutes to place that this wall installation was made up of vintage light fixtures.


Also lots of adorable chalk work.


 

 

Just a beautiful and inviting atmosphere over all.

 

For my entree, Cece's Stir Fry (gf): an epic mix of popcorn tofu, broccoli, bell pepper, celery and carrots. Served with chia seed brown rice and kale salad. I could not have made a better choice; my dish was the envy of many in our large group.


Oh and guess what?

 

Vanilla soft-serve cones for dessert? Don't mind if I do.


Also, while 89 wasn't traveling with me, check it out:


Another lunch consisted of grilled cheese and tomato: toasted multi-grain bread with basil and sun-dried tomatoes.


I had tomato soup on the side because that's how ya do.


And, on my final meal of the trip, the sweet potato pancakes with blueberries.


In parting, I left a card on their community board so everyone would know I'd been there.


If you're in Texas, it's certainly not to be missed. I think I did a pretty good job of researching all aspects of the menu for you.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Twinkies. Space looks great. Your memory from last years meals is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that any place outside of Austin in Texas could be so awesome!! I'm headed to TX next month, but I won't be in San Antonio. Just my luck! Everything looks absolutely incredible, the stir fry especially!

    Yay, 89! She's adorable on your post card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Portions Texas-sized? Sounds like I'd have a hard time going through that menu. I like the addition of tots too! And the lime with those beans.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)