Wednesday, September 11, 2013

New Weenies: Field Roast Frankfurters (Vegan MoFo 2013)

I lived on tofu pups most of my vegetarian/early vegan life and then last year they stopped doing it for me.  Perhaps I'll revisit them eventually, but in the meantime I was missing the excuse to pile a fresh bun full of spicy mustard, sauerkraut, and relish.  Then Vegan in Brighton showed off these impressive wieners and I could hold out no longer: I went to find myself a replacement hot dog.  I'm not usually into fake meaty things; with hot dogs it's all about the condiments for me.  These were so authentic looking that they practically jumped off the shelf: Field Roast frankfurters.  I know the "vegetarian" designation is confusing, but I confirmed with the prompt and friendly folks at Field Roast that ALL of their projects are, indeed, VEGAN.

 

When I went to open the package, I was genuinely surprised to find that they were individually wrapped franks: strung together like sausage links.  They say that people tend to look like their companion animals; this was pretty much my expression, "Huh?"


Nevertheless, I peeled one (released it from the packaging?- both sound weird; I'm sorry); cooked it in a lightly oiled frying pan on low heat for ten minutes, as directed, and voila: a frank feast.


If you're familiar with some of the other brands of faux franks on the market, you'll understand what I mean when I say that this weenie really filled out the bun impressively.  I generally hollow out my bun in order to fit in as many toppings as possible, but even with doing so this was a formidable mouthful.


I admit I have little recollection of what non-vegan frankfurters taste like, but the Field Roast franks have a distinct bologna quality that seems just about right. 


After I'd eaten four franks in five days I had to admit I was hooked.  The other two are in the freezer for future indulgence.

As for 89, I don't know what it was about these weenies, but she was extremely interested in them. 



Maybe it was the cartoon-esque links?  She didn't eat any, though: the thought was just too cannibalistic for me to consider.  Also, more for for me!

11 comments:

  1. I think I'd be a bit unnerved by the way they're wrapped, but other than that, they look and sound delicious! Seems like 89 got over her confusion and became quite intrigued; cute photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of blog posts about Field Roast these days. I don't eat field roast anymore because of the gluten, but it's made in a brick factory not 20 minutes from my house — one more place you can visit when you come to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dog photos! What a sweetie. And I am also a big fan of those franks -- and I don't even like hot dogs! Field Roast really knows what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a Field Roast frank before! They look good. I usually pick up Tofu Pups when I get a hankering for a dog, but these look like they would be a nice change of pace.

    I also don't know if there is a better way to describe how you get the plastic off...freeing them? I liked your descriptions LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't get enough of frankfurters in all their forms. All hail the mighty frank! I'd love to add it to my regular frank rotation, as soon as they get their arse in gear and get over to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! There is no way my beagles would have allowed me to take pictures next to those sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That totally looks like a meal that I would make. It's so great when you can get the fuzzies to pose with the food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. STILL need to try these. Their packaging always turned me off because I thought they'd be messy, but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was no one else laughing the entire time reading this post? "Really filled out the bun." Haha oh man. ANYWHO, I still like Tofu Pups but Field Roast is definitely superior in texture, at the least.
    You really did the whole meal justice - kraut and beans included! I'm entirely guilty of being so hungry I ate one straight out of the package, uncooked.
    So, um, I can vouch that they're even good that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie- Indeed, I was. But, they were worth the initial trepidation!

    Andrea- It's now on my "things to do in Seattle other than eat Mighty O" list.

    Claryn- Right? Right. Thanks!

    Gone Pie- you said it! I tried really hard not to ;-)

    luminousvegans- the FR franks were TOTALLY different from the tofu pups; I really dig them. Seriously; I try to keep the blog PG ;-)

    Joey- Oh man, non Field Roast in England? That sucks. But you do have Cookies and Scream :-)

    lazysmurf- the trick was to keep a good grip on them. Had I let them go, she would have made off with the whole strand.

    The Shenandoa Vegan- She's never far from the food prep area; she knows what's up.

    My Very Veggie Blog- I did wonder if they'd fall apart when I opened them, but nope!

    foodfeud- I tried to straddle the line between funny and obscene! Wait, YOU DID WHAT? I don't know what to do with that information. Can't process!!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)