Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Wild Ginger (Vegan MoFo 2013)

It would seem that Wild Ginger is a vegan staple that has been visited by everyone...except me. 


A while ago that all changed when I had the opportunity to dine at the Bedford location (the SoHo and Smith Street restaurants have a separate website, but a seemingly identical menu) with friends I hadn't seen in some time.  I really liked the atmosphere of the restaurant: serene, clean, and with obvious attention to detail.  Translation: we wanted to swipe the table's floral arrangements.


The entrees come with your choice of soup or salad.  The soup is miso; I didn't have, but it received high marks from the rest of the table.


Instead, I went with the salad, which was much larger than expected and very fresh:


We also shared the curry samosas: vegetable pastries with mint chutney.


One friend had the spinach salad: with baby spinach, pine nuts, beets, chick peas, and alfalfa sprouts- topped with citrus yuzu dressing.  I heard no complaints, and it looked just as fresh as my appetizer salad.


Another friend chose the General Tso's soy protein: with breaded medallions of sauteed soy protein with steamed broccoli in a spicy brown sauce.  It was completely different from the General Tso's served at Buddha Bodai and Soy and Sake, but also good.  The sauce- even when ordered non-spicy, was excellent and made the dish.


I'd intended to follow her lead, but I instead chose the sauteed tofu and vegetables: with tofu, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, lotus root, asparagus, sugar-snap peas, and cauliflower sauteed in a rich, brown, kung-po sauce because I wasn't feeling mock-meaty and I really wanted some lotus root.  It was a generous portion and the veggies were fresh and hit the spot, but the dish was bland overall; I'd recommend ordering very spicy for some flavor (maybe they could douse it with General Tso's sauce?).


The last entree of the table was the soy cutlet sizzling platter: thick breaded soy cutlets sauteed in a basil-ginger sauce with zucchini, asparagus, and peppers.  It was very much enjoyed and I secretly coveted the hot sauce that was ordered with it.


While I wasn't impressed with the flavor of my particular dish, based on all of the other positive elements, I would definitely give this restaurant another try. If anyone has a recommendation for improved ordering, let me know; I'm already eying the cold green tea noodles with sesame peanut sauce.

7 comments:

  1. been here a few times, I typically just get steamed veggies and rice with brown sauce and I always enjoy them, but then again, I'm not a super taster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Wild Ginger a national chain or does every city just have a couple of restaurants called Wild Ginger? I would have gotten what you did, not being a big fan of the plant-meats, unless it's soy curls. Didn't they provide any hot sauce at the table? You can just ask for some next time. Bland food in a restaurant is always kind of a letdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate at the Soho location several years ago and it was the best faux meat I've ever had. If I ever get back to NYC, I will be stocking up from Wild Ginger. Highly underrated, IMO, so you never hear it mentioned among Candle Cafe or Blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, a place I've eaten at before you! The biBimBap is incredible, as is the udon soup.. G and I also got cold spinach rolls once, and they were great. I'm not big on the faux meat, but I really enjoy their noodles though have yet to try the green tea noodles! maybe next time.
    I wouldn't say what I've had was bland, but I can always go for more spice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a pretty good haul all round, though the miso looks like it's haunted! I'm fascinated by General Tso's sauce - I've never seen it over here, but everyone raves about it. Could you sort out some sort of air drop?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BYOL- yawn.

    Andrea- There's something about the phrase that makes it a popular restaurant name; there's a couple near my parents' house that aren't veg in the least. I'm very picky with my hot sauce; sometimes I carry Secret Aardvark in my purse.

    The Shenandoah Vegan- I'm put off by both of the restaurants you mentioned of late, with the latter churning out lazy meals. My fave these days is Champs (foreshadowing!).

    foodfeud- I knew you'd have great suggestions! More spice; amen.

    Joey- creepy, right? Miso soup always freaks me out; I have to get better at making it so that it doesn't. No General Tso? That's sad! But if I was going to mail you food, I could do better: starting with anything from The Cinnamon Snail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby,

    When you’re ready to get your heavy soy on again, let me know. I’m always game.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)