Friday, September 27, 2013

Beer: Samuel Smith Handcrafted Organic Fruit Ale (Vegan MoFo 2013)

I am not a beer drinker: generally speaking, I don't like the color, smell, or taste.  But when a friend ordered Samuel Smith's organic raspberry fruit ale at V-Note not too long ago, I was intrigued.  It smelled delicious.  The color was astoundingly appealing.  The taste was fruity and refreshing.  I looked up where to buy it, excitedly brought home three flavors, and discovered that it's all about the handcrafted organic fruit beers!!


The bottles are kind of large, so I brought the strawberry beer to share at a BYOB Indian lunch date with VM.  It was pleasant and slightly sweet, but the fruit essence was much lighter than the raspberry I'd already tried.


FYI: lunch (samosas, aloo ghobi, bhindi masala, pakora, dal makhani).


Because I was already suspecting the raspberry was going to be our collective favorite, next we tried the cherry beer.  The color was great, but not indicative of the fruit-to-beer taste ratio; it definitely tasted too beer-y for me. 


In case you're wondering, we paired this one with Thai food (spicy yellow curry: huzzah!).


I couldn't wait any longer to have the raspberry beer again.  As expected, with the first sip it was VM's favorite as well.


The color, smell, and fruitiness is, without a doubt, the best of the bunch; it has it all and then some.  It was at this point she suggested that perhaps we shouldn't keep sharing.


When I returned to the store to buy more raspberry, I found apricot beer.  I couldn't resist trying it, but it too was no match for my favorite flavor.  There was less of a fruit taste and the color- through no fault of its own, reminded me of apple cider; blech. 


I did still drink it; it was extremely warranted as a result of my spicy okra with onions.


In case I didn't make it clear, the raspberry is my favorite.


And just my luck, it goes exceedingly well with homemade pizza.


As I said, I'm not a beer drinker.  When I was digging around in the drawer looking for a bottle opener, I found this.  If you're familiar with the initiative, you'll know that it's been a while since I've had a beer. 


An oldie but goodie.

6 comments:

  1. These looks delicious. Where did you find these beers? Also? Your homemade pizza looks da bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. de-lineation (love it)- So far Wegman's, but WF might have them? That pizza is so easy & so good; post coming soon...right after I take a post-MoFo vacay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a beer drinker either, and the one beer I'll usually drink is made in New Glasus, Wis. Now, though, I have to consider gluten so even my beloved Spotted Cow is off limits. The raspberry beer sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be going to Weggies tomorrow. I'll see if they have that beer (although it is Pumpkin season now).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I admit it, I'm a beer drinker and a sucker for Sam Smiths. There are a load of Sam Smiths pubs over here and the serve some kickass booze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought one of those beers to try before I left for this trip but I can't remember which one, I'm hoping for raspberry after reading this!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)