Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Blackbird Pizzeria (Vegan MoFo 2013)

I don't find myself in Philadelphia all too often, so when I recently had a whole day with friends- including a native, we tried to hit as many vegan spots as our stomachs would allow.


Blackbird Pizzeria, all vegan, has taken the physical place of a former is-it-or-isn't-it-vegan (not in a good way) establishment and it's a major improvement in every way.



Their menu includes all kinds of specialty pizzas, sandwiches, salads, etc.


Plus, they seem to always have an array of slices at the ready.  (The photos would have been better had I not been suffering the obvious effects of heat stroke* on this particular day.)


I was initially drawn to a potato slice, but my friend and I agreed to share this classic pepperoni slice in an effort to save valuable stomach space.  It was an excellent choice; the slice was huge, the pizza was stellar, the proportion of sauce to Daiya was spot on, and the toppings were generous and yummy.


They had a really awesome soda option on tap too: Maine Root blueberry soda, in fact.  It was a little nuts.


Oh, and they ALSO have Vegan Treats for dessert!!

It might be weird to say, but another great thing about this place is that their sink is outside of the restroom.  As someone who's constantly washing my hands, I love the idea of not having to go into the restroom to do so.  I didn't take a picture of it.  That would have been weird.


*In case you're wondering why I was so hot, it was about 1,000 degrees on this day and we spent most of it outside.  Heat notwithstanding, if you haven't yet been, I recommend that you visit the Philadelphia's Magic Gardens...on a cooler day.








It's one of my favorite places.

8 comments:

  1. Blackbird Pizzeria is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. Place seems a bit grungy when I was there... Surprised it met your very high standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philadelphia is definitely on my go-to list. Haven't gotten there yet. That blueberry soda is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Jenny writing about Blackbird. When we're in Philly, we're always tied up with relatives who don't want to drive too far. I was lucky to have escaped to Vedge, but I know there are lots of other vegan eateries I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that pizza looks like the real deal. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a great trip! and wow that pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie- I was so glad to finally try it!

    BYOL- Really? I've heard that from someone else, but I didn't any indication of grunge of any sort.

    Dawn- I had to try it! They were even nice enough to let me taste it first.

    Andrea- There are so many great eating places within walking distance of Blackbird...more to come.

    The Shenandoah Vegan- Right? Blackbird, Vinnie's, 3 Brothers...bring on all the vegan pizza!

    GlutenFreeHappyTummy- I have a few posts from that day, but I'll be really subtle about admitting it as I post; I can't make it too obvious that it was a gorge fest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh! i didn't know you went there, i've only been twice..or three times but the pepperoni one was my favorite. happy to see you liked it! did myvegangut go with you? i know he once told me he walked in and out haha

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)