Friday, March 1, 2013

A Hit (Ginger Peanut Squash Stew) and a Miss (Funky Frittata)

I overbought produce last week, so I spent my Saturday evening roasting various squash and digging into my cookbooks for recipes that matched the contents of my fridge and pantry. 

The high: ginger peanut squash stew (p.129) from Vegan Eats World


I used a roasted acorn squash and omitted the cilantro (that's dried parsley you see); it was FANTASTIC!  I love a recipe that only requires one pot and this was it.  I even shared: VM loved it and OD ate his whole bowl- which is saying alot since it was pretty spicy. 

Although I've had enormous success with it in the past, the recipes from Viva Vegan intimidate me.  After this incredible stew, I will make a point to revisit both Terry tomes.  It's a good feeling to be shocked that the meal you created was done so by your hands.


The low: frittata from Vegan Brunch.  I've been cooking with Isa/Terry books most of my vegan life and this was an unexpected (user error) disaster. 

My add-ins were looking great:


But, once in the dish, I could see that the frittata seemed loose. 


It did look fine enough when it came out of the oven.


But, in the end, over-cooking it didn't save it.  Upon introduction to my slice-and-serve, it veritably melted into a frittatta puddle.  Let's just say it was suggested that I serve it with straws.


But, despite the texture, the taste was really good; I think maybe the sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers continued to release moisture into the frittatta as it baked.  Totally my fault, as the recipe called for chard and I messed with altered it.  I'll try again, but next I have my sights set on a quiche. 


Lest you think I wasted the leftovers, fret not.  I enjoyed it the next day on toast with sriracha and sliced tomatoes (underneath).

5 comments:

  1. The stew looks so good to me right now. I'm really hungry but not in the mood to cook, but if I were, I'd make that stew! Everything I've read about vegan eats world makes me think I should buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the frittata but it actually looks great over bread in the last photo.
    Not to make it sound like I didn't think you cooked, but I was really happy to see you highlight something you made out of a cookbook (even especially not an online recipe.) I'd really be interested to hear more about yr cookbook collection + what you've made out of them. There is a very obvious gap on my shelf where Vegan Eats World ought to be. The soup looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea- the stew was the first thing I made from VEW and it blew me away!

    foodfeud- I have so many cookbooks that I really shouldn't neglect them. I've been invited to join a super secret cookbook cooking club, so I imagine I will have many more opportunities to explore the tomes that grace my shelves in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if it's so secret that I ought not to have mentioned it? :-O

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)