Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What 89 Thinks of V-Dog Breathbones

The second ever product offering from V-dog: Breathbones!


89 has been enjoying her V-dog dog food for months now: breakfast lunch and dinner.  Augmented with whatever else is around on any given day, she really loves it.



Her favorite snacks thus far are carrots, beans, spinach, radicchio, chick peas, red pepper, nutritional yeast, and tempeh.  What she's been missing, though, is a "bone".


I recently got her the V-dog breathbones, in lieu of a non-vegan bone, and the results have been a little silly. 


I bought her the large bones because she's quite a destroyer chewer; it's about 5 1/2" long and 1" wide. 

don't sweat my Simpsons' ruler

I mention this because- for whatever reason, V-dog does not currently indicate any specifics on their website: there are no size guidelines or quanitities listed (in fact, the bag of large bones pictured indicates 6, but the bag I received stated- and contained- only 4).


In any event, in the weeks since I've given her two- one at my house and one at my parents' house, and she's done one of two things with them... and neither involve chewing.

She either walks around with it in her mouth, whining (with excitement?  see above).




Or, hides it somewhere- like under the piano or behind the sofa cushions.

secrets aren't her strong suit

Weeks have passed and nary a tooth impression has been made.  This is saying something considering I'm dealing with someone who does this on the regular:


It smells good and seems like it should offer considerable chew resistance.  My friend's (much larger) dog demolished his in 5 minutes.  So, I'm anxious to see what happens when she finally takes a bite; I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

5 comments:

  1. maybe 89 needs a smaller bone? You captured a few really cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah Ennis will gladly take these "pacifiers" off her hands (paws?). He has never met a bone he didn't devour in 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very disappointed that Callie doesn't like V-Dog. She's ignored it from the start and I tried mixing it 1 to 1 with a chicken-based food. I got up to about 3/4 V-dog and then she refused to eat. Now she will only eat dry food if there's wet food mixed in. This wasn't my plan at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BYOL- I think I will give that a try when I order more food.

    Ali- I explained to 89 that Ennis is a "real" dog.

    Andrea- That's really surprising; I've never heard of a dog not liking V-dog. There are a couple of other vegan brands out there- some vegan owned and some not, that you could explore for Callie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My rats LOVE V-Dog. I just don't tell them it's dog chow. Heck, rats are darn near little mini dogs anyway.

    I want to get them some of the small bones since I've got a couple destructo ratboys who'd enjoy rending and destroying. Haha. I should get some for my mom's dog, Midge, too. PS: 89 reminds me of Midgey so much!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)