I thought The Bean might be too hip for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by how genuinely friendly and helpful the two girls behind the counter were-- even going so far as to tell me which cakes they usually carry, which are their favorites, and so on. Very chill. I do want to stress that the cake was in no way mis-handled by The Bean staff; in fact, they were quite delicate in the way they wrapped it to go. Instead, the package was inadvertantly manhandled by moi as I trekked around the LES, and therefore I take full responsibility for the unfortunate resulting visual. Note that the mushy messiness in no way affected the taste.
You're basically looking at sideview; here's the breakdown:
- The bottom layer is a thick, chocolatey crust (I don't think oreo).
- The second layer up is an even thicker "crust" of peanut butter cookie (yep, you heard me).
- Next is a layer of traditional cheesecake, not PB flavored as I had suspected (I'm not normally a fan of flavored cheesecake, so this was an unexpected bonus).
- I believe that the decadent chocolate fudge originated as the second layer from the top (I'm sure you can understand my confusion).
- And that would make the originating top layer the generous squirt (floret, if you will) of peanut butter icing.