Having had the original, I can best describe it as the coldest, thickest, most chocolatey shake you can imagine. Fast forward
And then one day it occurred to me why; the soy milk I'd been using wasn't mimicking the fat content of the full-fat cow's milk. So, I substituted coconut milk and voila: the coveted and authentic frozen hot chocolate- cruelty-free!
Vegan Frozen Hot Chocolate (adapted from Sweet Serendipity, p. 107)
(serves 1- trust me)
1/2-3/4 cup chocolate chips (depends how chocolatey you want it)
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cups coconut milk, divided
1 1/2 cups crushed ice
Magic Bullet* (MB- henceforth, both noun & verb)
- Microwave the chips in a small bowl for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the chips are melty enough to whisk smooth.
- Add the cocoa and sugar and whisk until mixed- a couple of seconds.
- Pour 1/2 the milk into an MB mug, add the chocolate mixture, and immediately MB until well blended.
- Add remaining milk and ice, MB until no ice bits remain.
* If for some reason you don't have a Magic Bullet, you can certainly use a blender.