Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Balsamic. Spinach. Tabouli?

With a bounty of the last nice backyard (not mine) tomatoes of the season, I decided to make tabouli.  I started with the recipe from the Candle Cafe cookbook (p. 16), but quickly began subbing things at random whim.  In lieu of parsley and mint I was going to showcase basil, but my previously flourishing basil plant has seen better days.  Eventually I decided to use fresh spinach, but the result was a "tabouli" salad that was missing something.  I added balsamic and knew I was on the right track.  When I thought to add avocado I finally had something to write about.

camera shy: avocado
Balsamic Spinach Tabouli (?)
serves 3-4

4 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
4 tbsp balsamic
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp evoo
4 garlic cloves, minced
s/p
6 oz fresh spinach
2 avocados, cubed

Directions:
Prepare 1 cup uncooked bulgar by pouring 1 3/4 cups boiling water over & letting sit for 1 hour (water will absorb).  Let cool in the fridge for an hour before adding the tomatoes and onions.  Next, mix the balsamic, lemon juice, evoo, garlic, and salt & pepper in a separate bowl.  Pour over bulgar mixture and gently toss.  If you don't want your spinach leaves to wilt into the salad, keep them crisp by adding them right before serving.  If you don't mind them wilting, mix it all together.  I'd like to say the avocado is optional, but you know you want it.  Add this when serving too, in order to avoid the ugly oxidation.  Tip: I find if you keep a halved avo in a sealed container in the fridge with the skin on and the pit in, there is very minimal browning.

Note: This recipe is good when you make it and possibly better after having "stewed" overnight, but by the 3rd day it's on the decline.

5 comments:

  1. I heart taboulli! I need to make it soon with tons of hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything seems to taste better with avocado. Even toast. I need to go soak some bulgar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great you were able to "save" it like that! Maybe you could call it a bulgur pilaf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made tabouli before. I feel this recipe is a great introduction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MVG, If you'd like me to send you the original recipe I'd be happy to send it to you so that you can make your own adjustments...at the whim of your Farmer's Market forays!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)