No offense to the original version intended, but I am very
Abby Bean's No-Frills Tempeh Salad
- Crumble 8oz tempeh into a medium saucepan with 2/3 cup water.
- Mix 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp white miso, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and pour over tempeh; mix.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, mix, and simmer until water evaporates: stirring occasionally.
- Let cool completely (overnight in the fridge works, but I've been known to speed things up in the freezer) before dressing.
Mix 1/2 tsp curry, 1/4 tsp cayenne (or more), and 1/4 tsp turmeric into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh.
Add 1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 cup raisins, and salt to taste. Add 3/4 cup diced apples if you feel like it; I hate apples and this didn't kill me.
Mix 1/2 tsp black salt into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric too if you need it to be yellow. Add 1/4 cup relish, 1 cup chopped onions, 1 1/2 cup chopped celery, and black pepper to taste.
Mix 1 tbsp furikake into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh. Add 1 cup chopped onions, 1 1/2 cup chopped celery.
Mix 1 tsp dill weed into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh. Add 1 cup chopped onions, and 1 1/2 cup chopped celery .
Sub ume plum vinegar for lemon juice. After mayo, add 1/2 minced plum, 1 1/2 cup chopped celery.
You can pretty much mix anything- within reason- into tempeh salad. Once you get the hang of it, it's a great way to clean out leftovers from your fridge for a cool, summertime meal.