Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Day Feast, Part I: Mexi-Dinner


Living between two houses doesn't make cooking easy, so I had to come up with something for VM's birthday dinner that would be relatively easy and something she really liked.  When the new freezer is stocked such that it looks like this, it's easier said than done:

yes, that is 5 pints of almond bites; don't judge me!

As I am not alone in my enjoyment of Chipotle, I figured why not bring the enjoyment home?  Easier said than done.

Start with store-bought, stove-top warmed, flour tortillas:


add white rice (apologies to the health conscious!):



garlic-cumin black beans:


peppers and onions sauteed with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground telecherry pepper:


Tofutti sour cream:


Daiya pepperjack:


and corn-tomato salsa with pepper and ground coriander:


assembled:


Served with sweet corn cake:


And don't forget the chips...


and homemade guacamole just the way we like it: loaded with extra onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, and lime juice!


Happy birthday to my favorite VM!  Stay tuned for Part II: dessert!  We already ate it, but it will be new to you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Very nice job! I rarely make burritos at home because there are so many components but it sounds like VM deserves it.
    Especially intrigued by those cute little corn scooplettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM~~ I like Chipotle!I am glad they now serve brown rice

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all looks so delicious and it remains me of Mission Burrito here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)