Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Almost Homemade Falafel

I know falafel is generally vegan by default, but how exciting is it to find this at Costco?  Look how big the word "Vegan" is!  (The company, Meal Mart, has a line of vegan items in addition to their non-vegan offerings.)  You have the option of baking the pre-cooked falafel balls in the oven or frying them on the stovetop; I chose the less messy, healthier, and significantly easier baking method.


I wanted to make an epic sandwich, so in addition to slicing* the onions & tomatoes, shredding the lettuce, splitting the pita, and grabbing the hot sauce, I decided to make my own tahini sauce!


I added 1 tbsp of evoo and 1 tbsp of water to thin it out a bit, and the finished recipe made enough to generously douse three giant sandwiches.


And then it was time for the assembly.  Oooh:


Aaah:


Oh.  No more. 

Although it seems unnecessarily time consuming to make something at home that you can buy for a couple of dollars on the street, there was immeasurable satisfaction in the fresh, non-greasy, "home"made version you see here.  And, no deep-fried stomach-ache either.  Highly recommend!

* Be very careful when using a mandoline; the safety guard can slip!

3 comments:

  1. Looks good. I just had a falafel sandwich the other day and it was yum. (the deep fried stomach-ache kind minus the stomach-ache)

    Those mandolines are tricky, but I can tell you from personal experience they usually only slip once. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these in my freezer too! costco never ceases to amaze me with its offerings.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)