Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Long, NY Day, But There's Always Room for Lula's

We started our weekend day at Cowgirl's Baking, but were disappointed that at opening time they were more overwhelmed than inviting, and had only cupcakes and brownies available.  Perhaps we'll revisit in the middle of a day, or once they are established and have more of their exciting advertised offerings available, but on this visit we left feeling rather unwelcome.

a most welcoming sight

So instead we decided to go to one of our favorite places, The Bean.  Yes, The Bean has a decadent red-velvet cake and a delicious chocolate peanut butter cheesecake, but they also have yummy breakfast treats.  Also, it's The Bean

On this day we shared a blueberry muffin and a mixed berry scone to accompany our coffee and chai...whilst a friendly patron looked on.


For all of the vegan options available, for some reason The Bean does not carry Tofutti cream cheese.  So, while we enjoyed our baked goods we looked longingly at all of the bagels being served, then kept the craving in our stomachs long enough to walk over to Bagels on the Square for some take-home booty.


After catching an indie at IFC, it was time to make our way over to Veggie Conquest 6!!  After another great event we agreed that we'd already enjoyed a full day, but you know what they I always say, "There's Always Room for Lula's".  We were admittedly tired and a bit loopy at this point, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I could only attack a "normal" size sundae: chocolate and kitchen sink ice cream with hot fudge, marshmallow, whipped cream, and a cherry.


Lightweight VM proudly whipped out her full Lula's card and went for a chicken leg drumstick sugar cone.


On this visit I learned two things I hadn't previously known about Lula's.
#1 My head cannot fit between the stools. 
I was full, tired, and clumsy; so, when I dropped something- well, let's just say that you learn something new every day.


#2 They have an official A to boast!
I'm still convinced that they deserve a higher mark, so I've taken matters into my own hands.


See you soon, Lula's; I have another card in the works ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I got a doughnut two days ago from Blossom du Jour and they said it was from a new bakery in the East Village, so I assumed they meant Cowgirl's. It was so good! You should definitely go back sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne,
    That was actually a Dunwell Donut! They don't have a storefront yet (they're working on it) & in the meantime they are selling at BdJ, Cocoa V, and Champ's.

    Check it out: http://a-soy-bean.blogspot.com/2011/02/dun-well-doughnuts-doughnuts-done-well.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very curious about the new Cowgirl Bakery, so I'll be looking forward to your expert assessment should you give them another try.

    Lula's never disappoints, though.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)