Monday, September 2, 2013

Treeline Cheese: the Hard Wheels (Vegan MoFo 2013)

I went to the most recent Vegan Shop-Up with the explicit intention of only buying two cheeses from Treeline.


But when I got there and realized that they had four varieties to choose from, I quickly decided I couldn't decide.


Yep, I got 'em all.  The hard cheeses: aged cashew wheels.


And the spreadable tubs: soft French-style tree nut cheeses (I'm gonna make you wait for them).

I started with the hard cheeses:


First, the cracked pepper aged cashew cheese:


I was worried the pepper was only on the top of the wheel, but it was generously flecked throughout as well.


The texture was amazing and I loved the punch of the pepper.  Punch, not crunch; the pepper is ideally ground ;-)


Next up was the classic smoky aged cashew cheese, which I wasn't sure I would like; smokiness isn't really my thing.


But, I actually only found it mildly smoky.  More prominent was a flavor I likened to a tartness, like vinegar.  And I loved that.  

gotta have a Pac-man shot

Without the texture of the pepper, this cheese was even more authentic to what I remember of traditional wheels.


VM liked the cracked pepper best and I'd like to tell you that I liked the classic smoky best, but the fact of the matter is that I couldn't resist either one.  Since the flavors were so contrary to one another, I really liked having them intermittently.

After finishing the two wheels in five days, I decided to save the soft cheeses for another week (!).  So, stay tuned for a separate review of the soft cheeses.  In the meantime, drool over this:


There's no question that Treeline makes an excellent product.  In addition, I love that they offer plenty of information about why they do what they do on their website and are wholly consistent with their vegan message

13 comments:

  1. cool. Since I never really liked cheese I doubt this would be my thing, but just curious, how big are these wheels?

    ps- extra points for the pacman shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BYOL, I I'd say about 3" in diameter: larger and much different in taste and texture than Dr. Cow http://a-soy-bean.blogspot.com/2011/01/delicious-dr-cow.html

    PS thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I think I've only ever made my own spreadable cashew cheese and not tried ones made by people who know what they're doing...and Treeline looks like they know what they're doing. I'd love to try that smoky one! I had a smoked beer yesterday I was wishing I'd have a good nosh to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. foodfeud, my Snail gochujang burger paired perfectly with my Pine Box Bloody Mary; these would go great with beer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, I love fancy vegan cheeses but I've never tried Treeline. I wonder if I'll be able to find it in San Francisco... I'm gonna go look at their website now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look awesome! How do they taste compared to the Dr.Cow? I like the packaging too.

    I miss the Vegan Shop ups! Wish they had them here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw these cheeses in our vegan store, but didn't buy them. Thanks for the review — maybe I'll sample one or two next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. vegan.in.brighton., they seem to be taking the world by storm, so I wouldn't be surprised!

    Kylie, REALLY good!

    Andrea, Yes; do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby,

    Thanks for this post. I have yet to purchase Treeline, but after your review, I’m excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. Just yum. Cashew cheese is the way forward - don't tell anyone, but Daiya and all that kind of freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love the Treeline cheeses! I can only get the soft cheeses in my local co-op and they are pricey, but so worth it. I can't wait to try to hard cheese wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joey, yea? I'm still obsessed with Daiya.

    Tuxedo Cat, I was more of a hard cheese girl pregan, but I'm anxious to give the soft ones a whirl.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)