Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 18: Parsley Pesto & a Magic Bullet Scare

Another weird day in cleanseland wherein I wasn't at all hungry until the afternoon, when I finally finished the last bit of green apple with almond butter.  Yep, still gross; I won't be buying these again.


Due to a subsequent combination of minor nausea and lack of hunger, that was all I needed until dinner-  when I revisited the spiralizer!  In anticipation of the lentil walnut pate, I'd overbought parsley.  I picked some up from the supermarket and then came across an infinitely superior bunch at the health food store that I couldn't pass up.  Bet you can't tell which is which:


With all that parsley to use up and itching to resume spiralizing, I googled parsley pesto and was happy to see that it does in fact exist.  I threw together this recipe for 5 medium sized zucchini:


2 cups parsley leaves
4 tbsp lemon juice
10 tbsp water
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp EVOO
1/2 cup toasted almonds (I reserve pine nuts for pignoli cookies)
1 tbsp nooch
1 tsp sea salt 

There was a bit of a scare with my Magic Bullet when it began to sound strained, but then it powered back up again.  This has happened every once in a while for the last couple of years, so much so that I have a brand new back up at the ready just in case; I don't want to find myself Magic Bullet-less.  And then it really sputtered and...stopped.  I thought that was it.  When I removed the large cup I realized that one of the tabs had broken off, rendering it incapable of the the tri-pressure necessary to power the bullet.  Gasp!


No worries, I simply transferred the contents to a mug and was on my way.  My Magic Bullet is about 15 years old and still going strong.  Parsley Pesto:


More zucchini spiralizing:


Building the main event course, zucchini spaghetti:


...with pesto:


...garnished with diced tomatoes and red onion:


The spiralizer just doesn't get old; the dinner was great.  


But I did have my eye on this treat.  In the save pile!

7 comments:

  1. vitamix. that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering why you peel the zucchini? I just scrub and spiralize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I peel when it's not organic! It would look much nicer unpeeled...& more nutricious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What brand of spiralizer is it? It looks very efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, It's a World Cuisine turning slicer & it's grand. The two of us make fun of the juicer for being such a major p.i.t.a.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always buy parsley with great dreams of detox but it goes bad so quickly! I just threw a bunch out :( Is that apple butter or peanut butter? Apple butter is great but I don't know if that would be cleanse friendly either. Oh, as for the dressing - it's just nooch, olive oil, maple syrup, tamari, water, and minced garlic. The actual measurements are on the bowl link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, FF- thanks for the extra set of eyes; it's almond butter! Sorry I missed the link to the dressing; that sounds great. Will revisit!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)